This region includes two of the three agricultural sectors in which the course is divided Almanzora River, Upper and Middle Almanzora Almanzora. The third, known as Bajo Almanzora is part of the region of Almeria. The industry is leading the region thanks to the marble quarries Macael
The Sierra de Los Filabres forms the southern boundary of the Valley.
The town of Almanzora (al-Mansura) gives the name of the river Almanzora. This mythical city, of which only ruins remain was on the south bank of the river, in what today is known as Almanzora. Exactly al-Mansura is located a few meters from Las gachasmigas, the nearest inhabited village today.
The presence of archaeological remains near the town testify to the Roman presence in the vicinity.
In this period the cultivation of mulberry trees for silkworm breeding, along with honey were important pillars of the economy.
Sixteenth century onwards
In 1436, an expedition of troops reconquer Murcia place with other neighboring populations, after more than half a millennium of Muslim sovereignty.
In 1753 the town was the administrative center of the Almanzora region under the administration of the Marqués de los Velez X. In the eighteenth century the town of Almanzora was owned by the Conde de Benavente. In turn, this became the property of the Marquis of Villafranca.
In the last third of the nineteenth century passed to the Marquis de Almanzora, first marquis, whose name was Antonio Abellán and Peñuela. His descendants go on sale for the property and their farm in the early twentieth century and is purchased by Juan March Ordinas in 1925, which in turn re-sold in small parcels of land and home-emptive, who worked and lived in them.
After completion of the railway del Almanzora, connecting the cities of Murcia, Granada, trade began to flourish across the railway line to be the natural station in the town of Albox and surrounding towns. During the difficult years of the dictatorship of General Franco, the black market flourished under the rail.
Year 1900: 275 habitants
Year 1950: 617 habitants
Year 1986: 478 habitants
In the last 20 years the town has experienced a considerable increase in population by the return of returnees and particularly the last 10 years there has been a release of new inhabitants from the British Isles.
It is recalled that most of its inhabitants who emigrated during the entire twentieth century, have not returned, and today these almanzoreños of birth and their descendants living in Argentina, France, Switzerland, Germany and parts of the lift as Murcia, Valencia and Catalonia
Traditionally agriculture has been the key driver of its economy with the cultivation of citrus with lemon as a star, destined for export.
In recent years as in the whole valley of Almanzora new booming industry has been building, supported by residential tourism, with the arrival of people from northern Europe, mainly British.
Around the residential tourism has proliferated estate, construction, gravel mining, as well as an incipient rural tourism accommodation in traditional farmhouses.
Another activity is the development history of artisan bread, baked in wood ovens highly valued by people near the Almanzora basin.
Palace of the Marquis del Almanzora (known as Palacio de Almanzora) more representative of the neoclassical building in the province of Almeria. Building by Spanish architect Ventura Rodriguez. Andalusian Historical Heritage property.
The Molinoviento, The Pulpit. Old disused flour mill from the XIX century. He used the wind to grind the wheat grown on the banks of the river Almanzora. Formerly part of the defense complex and military watchtowers spread across the Almanzora Valley, for the kingdom of Granada, with Castilian-Aragonese incursions or North Africa.
Railway Station-Almanzora Albox. The conservation status of the station has been great to be inhabited by the station chief ferroviarrio until around 2000. Unlike the other sites in the Guadix-Almendricos railroad since 1985 remained closed and a poor condition. Following the departure of the station master of the house was used as a rehearsal band. The station has been refurbished and fitted out as a social hall for the elderly. It has granted an administrative concession to install a bar known as "Café-Bar Station."
Cerro Mirador. Built by local youths. From here you can see the Almanzora valley from El Badil even trees. The mouth of the Rambla de Albox and part of the Arroyo Albánchez.
Railway bridge on the Rambla de Albox.
Las Minas. Dedicated to the extraction of iron ore, finished his business in the mid-twentieth century.
The Shoring. Between the mouth of the Rambla de Albox and few meters from the Pulpit found an artificial spring drilled under the river Almanzora. Its function is to remove the groundwater flowing beneath its bed dry and rocky. This water feeds the only natural poplar forests for miles around. Centuries ago all abundant in the river nearby. This water infrastructure built by man, may be even before the Roman presence in the valley. Exudes a cool, clear water and even the 70s it was possible the eel fishery.
The town is connected by bus through the company ALSA.
Baza direction to check-out: 12:20 to 16:10
With Huércal-Overa towards departure time: 07:20
In school year was part of a coach the secondary school "Valle del Almanzora" at 7:30 and return back to the 15:00 Almanzora
There is another departure from Albánchez bus that stops at Almanzora and its destination is the regional hospital of Huércal-Overa, in the morning.
The bus stop is next to the plaza in front of him Almanzora Palace. The facilities consist of a thatched hut with comfortable seats.
A 2 km north of town, will have access to the motorway Almanzora (A-334).
It has train station Murcia-Granada railroad which crosses from east to west the town, leaving the railway station to the southeast of the population. From January 1, 1985 do not run trains with commercial service. Currently the nearest station is in Lorca. There are plans by the regional administration to reopen the rail line.
Almeria Airport is the closest to Almanzora to 113 km and 9 km from the city of Almeria. Airport Murcia-San Javier in the town of San Javier to 162 km along the Mar Menor is also widely used by the inhabitants of Almanzora.
The San Anton. (The night of January 16).
San Ildefonso (January 23). Almanzora pattern.
Crumbs (28 February). During the celebration of the day in Andalusia, people meet at the Palace, to taste the typical dish of this area, Crumbs.
Snacks (spring, Easter Sunday) Day of living in the countryside, where people gather near the shores and tributaries of the river Almanzora. You should not miss the snack time, the traditional hornazo.
Fiesta de la Santa Cruz (May 1).
Corpus Christi (last Sunday in May).
Fiestas de la Virgen (August 15).
Friday Market. Every Friday near the town square and Palacio del Almanzora. Street vendors gather from all parts of the county to sell their products.
La Matanza. It welcomed the cold, dry months of the year. (November-December) "A pig which she gets her San Martin."
Almanzora related characters
Antonio Abellán Peñuelas (1822-1903)
Catalina Casanova Navarro (1831-1914)
Municipal political party has NAAT (Cantoria Almanzora Group of Electors) with representation at City Hall.
Jesus Serrano (NAAT) José Jesus Gázquez (PP) Masegosa Gaspar (PP) Pedro Jesus Liria (PSOE) Francisco Lopez Martinez In 2004, Francisco Javier Alonso Linares, a resident of Almanzora, was included as a parliamentary candidate in the list Andaluz Forum Andaluz obtaining the highest result at the provincial level.
Almanzora people participated as a guest on the popular Canal Sur, As we are a late 28 February 1990 talking about the tradition, culture and gastronomy of it.
Almanzora imagination is the name given to an island based on the facts stated in the film Who Can Kill a Child?, Narciso Ibañez Serrador.
Marquess of Almanzora